Mike, Karen, Nina, Janae, and Marcy moved to San Jose Costa Rica in Aug of 2011, then lived in the Dominican Republic from May 2012 until May 2016. Currently we are living in Middlebury Indiana.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

You sold our hot water heater????

    As I mentioned in a previous blog, we will be moving again in a couple of weeks. There are several reasons for this decision but foremost is the fact that our landlord told us that she is putting the house up for sale. Soon after that notice we were told that an SI family would be moving back to the states and their house was up for rent 1 block away from our current house. It is a little bigger and (my biggest draw) it would be less money per month. Don't mind that they had been broken into an average of maybe once every 2-3 months, it was a no-brainer for us as a family. Here in the DR when you rent a home, it will normally not come standard with common household items like ceiling fans, light bulbs, a hot-water heater, battery inverter system (even though almost every rentable house in town has an inverter) so those items belong to the rentee. I listed the items that we would no longer be needing as for sale and all is/(was) good.
    During the last outreach Brian, our director, had informed me that one of the hot-water heaters had caught fire and needed looked at so as my job of maintenance, I go to find out that sure enough - the wasps had built a nest in it and had plugged the flame to where it blew a gas line and literally "blew up". With no parts available and a team here, Brian told me to replace it with a new one and then made the mistake of mentioning "Hey, didn't I see that you had one for sale?"
Previous location of the hot water heater.
    Back track to several weeks ago. With the temperature rising, the other members of my family here (all female species) would come home in the afternoon and say, Boy I am looking forward to a cold shower tonight". So, remembering those comments, I told Brian, "Sure, I will go home and get it." All went well until that evening at precisely 4:45 when Janae comes out of the shower saying "Dad, there isn't any hot water." I then tell her well no, there isn't, because I sold it. "YOU SOLD OUR HOT WATER HEATER????????"  It is only at that point that I am told they didn't really take cold showers, they just said that it would feel good. Too late now, no hot showers until we move the first week in August. I do have to say though that after a full two weeks of it, we have kind of gotten used to it (well at least I have).
      So it is cold showers for another week and a half. But remember that it gets to the mid 90's each day and only down to mid 70's in the evening so it really is not that bad, and God always provides. He has provided us with a different house with  a hot water heater.
    Just another day at the U house in the DR.
     

1 comment: